EMAIL

For questions or comments you don't want left on this blog please email me. Put TinCanCooking in subject area.

Copy and paste in your own web email box.
rwngwacko2@aol.com

Sunday, February 18, 2018

My Quest for Healthy Cooking

I thought I was being smart buying a non stick pan and using only non-metal utensils. WRONG

Lately I have been watching a lot of videos from Dr. Josh Axe. I did not know this fact.
In just two to five minutes on a conventional stovetop, nonstick cookware containing perfluorochemicals can exceed temperatures that cause a break down in its coating and hence the release of toxic particles and gases linked to bird deaths and human illnesses, according to tests commissioned by the Environmental Working Group (EWG)

Years ago I gave up all my non stick and aluminum pans after my close call with cancer. My husband bought me a set of iron clad pans and I have been cooking in them for years. Just recently, in my haste to save time, I purchased what I thought was a good brand non stick pan. I did not know that any coated pan can release toxins. Even some of your enamel coated cast iron pans are not good. Sooo back to the basics again. Yes, it takes more time to cook in metal pans, because they have a tendency to stick. Here are my suggestions to solve this issue:
Heat your pan first before putting any oil or spray oil in, then heat the oil before putting any food in it. LET IT BE and don't try to keep flipping food. For example, hash browns. You will need to let them sit until they get crisp on one side before flipping because no matter what you do they will stick. This goes for all meats.
 Check out Dr. Axe article on cookware.

 
 
 
 I guess the real point is to have to plan better. Maybe use my crock pot for those sticky foods and  purchase a pressure cooker. Don't be afraid pressure cookers are not like the old ones that used to explode. Now days they are very safe. Check out QVC's site.  
Remember no NON STICK interior.



















No comments:

Post a Comment