EMAIL

For questions or comments you don't want left on this blog please email me. Put TinCanCooking in subject area.

Copy and paste in your own web email box.
rwngwacko2@aol.com

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Saturday's Dinner..more to come

I have decided to change my cooking day to Saturday. Now laundry, groceries, and cooking are on Saturday. I want Sunday to be the "DAY OF REST". Only reading and enjoying the country air out here.

Here is the produce I washed Saturday:

Apples, grapefruit, lemons, avocado, two bags of carrots, tomato, potatoes, asparagus, cucumber, and garlic.
In the background you will see corn tortillas, 3 pack of romaine lettuce, and a large loaf of sourdough bread from Trader Joe's.


Saturday's dinner was Tamale Pie. My Nana used to make this with leftover turkey from our Thanksgiving dinner. She never wrote the recipe down, but I watched her make this many times.

Tamale Pie

Combine: 1/2 C flour, 1/2 C cornmeal, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix well.
Add: 1/2 C milk, 1 beaten egg, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon minced serrano pepper, and 1/2 C any shredded cheese. Set aside.

Saute 1/2 C chopped onions, salt and pepper to taste, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1-14 ounce can of diced tomatoes (I added leftover tomatoes I had for salads and cooked this mixture a bit longer), 1 C frozen kernel corn. Cook for 15 minutes. Add leftover cooked turkey chunks and 1/2 can olives cut in half. Add two spoonfuls of cornmeal mixture. Cook 5 minutes.

Spray 8x8 pan with olive oil spray add meat mixture. Top with cornmeal mixture. Cover with foil.

Cook at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes until mixture bubbles and topping is done.

Take foil off and add 1/2 C shredded cheese and cook until melted.








No comments:

Post a Comment