EMAIL

For questions or comments you don't want left on this blog please email me. Put TinCanCooking in subject area.

Copy and paste in your own web email box.
rwngwacko2@aol.com

Saturday, January 21, 2017

From Menus to Winging It

Many times I have posted the grocery buying success of making a weekly/monthly menu and a shopping list from that list. I  have changed my method to suit my lifestyle.

Now days I buy the basic things I use in my recipes, meats/fish and poultry, spices, and frozen veggies. Since it is winter, I find that a good supply of frozen veggies is an asset. I can make Asian dishes, soups, crock pot meals, and stews easily with an addition of some frozen veggie.

When I buy things at Aldi's I can't buy one jalapeno. Instead I get 6. I use what I need for my roasted pablano/jalapeno salsa and freeze the rest of the jalapeno's for future use. I just take the seeds out and slice them in a container. (I am trying not to use as many disposable plastic bags)

So to make it simple I buy cans of broth, dry or canned beans, t-sauce, tomatoes in a can, fruit, baking supplies, and nuts (freeze to keep fresh). Bulk meat, chicken (separated for freezing), seafood, and fish. Aldi has individual packets of frozen salmon, flounder, and other fish along with shrimp in various sizes. 

Hubby said I do better when I just throw a dinner together than make a specific recipe. It must be due to years of cooking. When I come home I thaw a couple packets of salmon in water in the sink. I put my rice cooker on (while I take a shower) then saute veggies either fresh or frozen and WALA dinner. The catch is to thaw other meats out before I come home from work. Fortunately, I come home for lunch so I can put something out at that time.

I didn't think this would work, but it does. I really don't want to spend to much time in the kitchen. We eat from whole foods so I just dream up a dish and go for it. Hubby is happy.

Always ask  yourself if you REALLY need an item. I don't buy chips I buy tortillas and bake them for chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment