This week I am cooking hubby's favorites. He has had a summer cold so he needs some schmoozing.
- First on his list is fried chicken livers. I bread them in flour, onion and garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- Next is his all time favorite cucumbers in sweet/sour liquid. I slice the cucumbers real thing along with yellow onions. The liquid is pretty easy. For two English Cucumbers (less seeds) I combine white vinegar, sugar, and water in equal portions. This batch used 3/4 of each ingredient. I topped with salt and pepper. The more they cure the better they get.
- I made roasted pablano/tomato/jalapeno salsa. I will be making enchiladas Tuesday and need to put some zip in the filling. Besides I buy tortillas and grill them into chips.
- Blueberry/walnut muffins made with applesauce instead of butter. A great compliment to fruit in the morning.
- After that I sauteed two buckets of mushrooms sliced in two tablespoons of butter. Just wash them off under the faucet and season with salt and pepper. I add them to hubby's omelet along with tomatoes, jalapeno, and sauteed onions and topped with salsa.
- After mushrooms I sauteed 1 3/4 sliced onions in two tablespoons butter and salt and pepper. You need to be quick before you go blind. lol I guess you could put them in a food processor/slicer and save your burning eyes. I cook them until they are light brown using a non stick pan.