EMAIL

For questions or comments you don't want left on this blog please email me. Put TinCanCooking in subject area.

Copy and paste in your own web email box.
rwngwacko2@aol.com

Thursday, December 26, 2013

As Close To Organic Food As I Can Get

My son sent me an email about various produce that are slammed with pesticides and some that are not as badly slammed. I keep this list in my purse when I go to the grocery store. I mostly have it memorized. Below is the list.

If you are lucky enough to have a store called Trader Joe's you can get organic at a lower price than some larger chains. I buy my peppers, potatoes, cucumbers, and some meats at Whole Foods because the chain I go to doesn't have these in small quanities. I can buy my fruit, most of the time, at the chain I go to. Also frozen organic is good. I add them to muffins or cereal. 

Living in a TinCan you are limited. I don't buy processed foods so both my small frigs are full of fruits, vegetables, dairy, and things I make for lunches.(tuna salad, three bean salad, chicken pasta, and other things). I try to make these on the weekend so all I have to do is just put them in seperate containers for our lunches.

I do cheat sometimes and buy meat/dairy on sale at my chain. Yea, the cattle probably lived and were fed in a feed lot. I buy my tuna in bulk from Costco. If you want some processed stuff you can get it in great quanities at Costco. They have quite a selection of organic. I just dont have the room.

Of course, the ultimate would be having your own cattle or barter for a neighbors grass raised cattle. Also your own chickens and other critters along with a full garden and green house. That is on the back burner for us now. I buy my food weekly with a strict budget and pre planned menu. This menu includes treats, breakfast meals, and lunch meals. We probably spend $100-$120 a week for two.

Check out my post about how to pre-plan your week the weekend before. If I had a freezer I could make large amounts of ....say...skettie and freeze a few batches.

http://www.tincancooking.blogspot.com/2013/04/frugal-grocery-shopping_24.html


 
Eat OrganicOkay Non Organic
ApplesGrapefruit
BerriesKiwi
CherriesMango
GrapesPineapple
PeachesWatermelon
StrawberriesTomato
Imported NectrinesSweet Potato
CarrotsYam
PeppersSweet Peas
SpinachMushrooms
PotatosEggplant
LettuceDomestic Cantaloupe
CucumbersCorn
Cabbage
Broccoli
Avocado
Asparagus



 




 


 
















 

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just wanted to return the blog visit and thank you for visiting mine and taking the time to comment. I really like your blog and could especially relate to this post. Eating well is always a struggle but nowadays is more of a challenge than ever. I so agree with your approach.

    ReplyDelete