EMAIL

For questions or comments you don't want left on this blog please email me. Put TinCanCooking in subject area.

Copy and paste in your own web email box.
rwngwacko2@aol.com

Sunday, September 14, 2014

September - Honey Month

Honey has so many benefits. We use it for cooking and hubby takes a teaspoon full morning and evening. He has a poor immune system and the fall allergins are just around the corner. He also takes echinesia and grape seed extract to boost his immune system.

I used to just buy plain honey in the stores, then I bought raw honey in the stores. Still there is nothing better than LOCAL RAW HONEY.

We found a local bee keeper who keeps his bees about 10 minutes from our home. He said he only harvests the honey once a year in June. Apparently, he lost a hive harvesting the honey before winter. A lesson learned. Bees need honey to eat through the winter months when there are not as many sources of food out there. This man also said that store bought, processed, raw honey isn't as good as his. The store processed honey filters out to much of the pollen needed to make honey a benefit for those who have allergies. Of course we got greedy and bought 4 pint jars @ $10 a jar. I would rather buy good food than pay for good doctors. You can even see the pollen on the top of the honey. NEVER PUT HONEY IN THE MICROWAVE. Heat it by setting it in warm water.

I use honey in my homemade granola bars and baking. I do use the store bought raw honey for my recipes so we can keep the good stuff for hubby.

I remember my mother buying honey in the comb. I can't remember if it was local but it was good. It's amazing how we once used all these natural cures so many years ago and have simply just forgotten all their goodness.

We have gone back to basics to continue the lessons learned decades ago. If we have a cold coming on we squeeze REAL lemon juice in a cup of warm water (NO SUGAR OR ALCOHOL). I also take 1000-2000 mg vitamin C. I prefer a chewable tab.. (Clues for a cold coming on are the tightness of your shoulders and being tired) Get plenty of rest and liquids. Green Tea is a benefit also.

Could you make specific honey based on what activates your allergies? Good question. Heck if rag weed is an issue put the honey bees near those flowers. This is just an example. Check out
The Walden Effect
 
You have seen this on the side of the roads. Hubby's alergies are on a 12 hour clock. He takes his spoonfull at 6am before breakfast and before dinner. It seems to work. 


No comments:

Post a Comment